Assistant Translation Coordinator / Translations
Number of opportunities: 1
Time required: Part-time; 20 hours per week; non-exempt; female only
Apply By: August 15, 2021
Yogananda Seva, Inc., a California-based religious nonprofit services organization, is seeking an Assistant Translation Coordinator to help our Translations Coordinator in coordinating the workflow of varied translations needs for multiple Self-Realization Fellowship departments. This position works primarily with the nuns’ services in SRF Spiritual Counseling Dept. and Membership Services – only female applicants will be considered. Additionally, the position will work remotely, but applicants need to be available for meetings as needed during Los Angeles business hours (10:00am – 4:00 pm PST/PDT).
A thorough knowledge and experience of SRF principles and standards is required, as well as excellent judgment in determining the prioritization of tasks, including understanding workflow and departmental priorities.
Services for this position include assisting in management and coordination of letters, reports, applications, and forms in over 15 languages; reviewing incoming translations from target language to English, assisting with onboarding and training of interpreters and translators for written correspondence, and reviewing and revising procedures for translation staff and volunteers. The successful candidate may also assist with onboarding and training of interpreters for monastic counselors or other departments as needed, as well as conducting business calls for Membership Services and Member Spiritual Counseling. While no hired positions report directly to this position, supervisory responsibilities may include helping to train and/or orient staff and volunteers, and orient and/or review the work of others.
- Responsible to follow SRF’s and YSO’s guidelines, policies and established processes.
- Works with the Translation Coordinator to manage translators/interpreters: Recruits, evaluates, trains new translators and interpreters. Assigns work, monitors performance, maintains relationships via email, phone calls and online meetings.
- Is responsible for routine functioning of translation area, ensuring confidentiality, reliability and quality of work. Expected to solve problems as they arise related to daily processes with minimal direct supervision (e.g., managing workload and workflow for translations, file management, etc.).
- Works according to established departmental processes and guidelines. Contributes to the development of new procedures.
- Maintains a proactive overview of the entire area, working with the Translation Coordinator to manage resources to ensure uninterrupted service.
- Processes incoming and outgoing items for translations, and other position-related tasks as determined.
Experience and Skills Required and/or Preferred:
- Ability to consistently honor and continually maintain a strict level of confidentiality.
- Thorough knowledge of and experience with SRF principles and standards.
- Excellent judgment in determining prioritization of work which includes a good understanding of workflow, priorities in the department, and monastic communication protocol.
- Minimum 2-3 years college or business school preferred.
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Accuracy and attention to detail with all work performed.
- Minimum 5 years general office experience preferred, including proficiency in MS Office programs, specifically Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Proficiency in Adobe Acrobat Reader and/or Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.
- Good overall computer skills, with basic knowledge of web-based customer service preferred.
- Good command of the English language: grammar, punctuation and spelling.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to work with different nationalities.
- Bilingual preferred, with at least some familiarity with different languages and customs.